IS POST PROCESSING OUT OF CONTROL?

For several years, photographers have availed themselves to the latest in image & corrective enhancement software. Gone are the days of chemical baths we once used to develop our negatives; now almost completely replaced with high speed computers and amazing software.

I've received many emails asking what software I use to finalize my digital images. As I thought about devoting a blog entry to answer this simple question, I began to think about the title to this blog "IS POST PROCESSING OUT OF CONTROL?" and decided to take a different direction.

For those who want the simple answer, I use (Capture NX2 90% of the time), Adobe PS CS5 and Adobe Elements. "Wait! You're a pro and you use Elements?" Yep. I don't always need a sledge hammer to kill a mosquito.

A long raging debate always seems to come up sooner or later among photographers...

WHEN DOES PHOTOGRAPHY CROSS THE LINE TO MANIPULATION?

The answer is not easy with opinion prevailing over any factual evidence.

One could easily conclude ALL photography is manipulated to one extent or another. Even in the days of B&W photography and chemical baths, we would dodge and burn which is manipulation.

When digital capture gained traction, I knew I had to change. I had to change the way I thought about photography as well as HOW I would embrace the new technology. Many photographers as a point of fact got out of the business; unwilling to adapt...I'm OK with their decision as it is neither a good or bad decision, it was their choice.

As many others did, I attended work shops concerning the various software programs available to bring our new digital images to life. Adobe ruled the day for a short time and is still considered the defacto image editing program. 

I as well as others learned new tricks to enhance photos to a level never seen or available to the photographer. We even learned how to take a mediocre image and make it acceptable.



While I consider learning as many post processing techniques as possible to be good for the photographer, I maintain they must be part of our arsenal but not a crutch to overcome foundational deficiencies in image capture.

After a while, I realized something important. I am a working photographer, not a graphic artist. I found myself spending far too much time playing with my images. Working photographers don't have the time to spend 3 hours compositing a image with 15 layers.

Is post processing out of control? It depends on your end goal. If one is prepping a image for Cover Girl magazine, then the answer is no. If we use it in the attempt to overcome an otherwise bad image, then the answer is yes.

REALITY vs FANTASY

The simple act of cropping a portion of an image is considered by many as altering the truth. This is especially true in journalistic photography where the image is intended to tell a story. The photographer and the editors exercise complete control over the truth. EX:  A photo may show a police officer shooting what appears to be a unarmed person laying on the ground. What the photo did not show was the unarmed persons left hand was preparing to push a button that would set off a bomb.

Wedding photography and commercial photography are not the same. One is intended to capture the moment while the other is intended to sell something. As a teenager I learned a valuable lesson while working at a ice cream shop; "People eat with their eyes", in other words, if it looks good, it tastes good. Food & Fashion photography are the ultimate in image manipulation.

Nearly ALL digital images require some correction. Where correction crosses the line into over manipulation is a debate that will continue. I maintain it depends on ones perspective as well as the end use of the image.

For the emerging photographer, they should devote their time to the foundations of photography before learning all the cute tricks that make a photo look like something out of a sci-fi movie.

All the enhancements available via software do not make a photographer.
Software does not make a photographer better. If we don't know how to lay a foundation, expertise with a circular saw will not get the house built.

On a personal note; I spend about 2-3 minutes post processing a single wedding image. I prefer Capture NX2 for most of the heavy lifting...exposure, color correction, white balance and high pass selective sharpening. I prefer Capture NX2 because I shoot primarily with Nikon cameras.

My commercial images require far more time in post processing as the requirements of magazine publishing are much more stringent.

I still believe in the old adage; "Get it right in the camera" and your post time will be reduced.
Lighting remains the key element for superior images.

EMAIL ME










2 comments:

Kyle Gessler said...

This was great.
I am a emerging photographer and have started to get caught in the trap of too much image manipulation.
Getting back on track now.

Sharon L. said...

Love your blog and photos.
Would like to see more specific info on "how to" and such.